Russian Railways remains a leader among global railway companies in terms of the energy efficiency and eco-friendliness of freight and passenger transportation.
The Russian Railways Energy Conservation Programme in 2014 resulted in savings of RUB 4.1 bln The economic effect from energy conservation measures in 2013 totalled RUB 610.6 mln
As a result of implementing the Russian Railways Energy Conservation Programme, the Company’s subdivisions achieved savings of 411,700 tonnes of fuel equivalent in 2014 for a total of RUB 4.1 bln and reduced greenhouse gas emissions in the amount of 742,600 tonnes of CO2 equivalent.
Total consumption of fuel and energy resources by Russian Railways decreased by 135,000 tonnes of fuel equivalent (0.6%) compared with 2013 despite a 3.6% increase in transportation volume by all types of traffic.
Specific electricity consumption for train traction declined 1.5% in 2014, while diesel fuel consumption fell 2.2%.
With the target indicators for the reduction in the energy intensity of industrial activities set at 1.3% by the Russian Federal Tariffs Service for Russian Railways, the Company decreased the energy intensity of industrial activities by 1.7% in 2014.
The greatest effect was achieved by the following measures that aim to improve the Company’s energy efficiency:
- improved train traffic control methods (savings of RUB 951.8 mln, or 78,498.9 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- improved locomotive utilisation indicators (savings of RUB 604.4 mln, or 41,232.9 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- improved technical condition of locomotives (savings of RUB 479.0 mln, or 42,840.0 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- improved technical condition of track facilities (savings of RUB 26.5 mln, or 2,160.5 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- improved traction power supply system indicators (savings of RUB 61.6 mln, or 7,296.5 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- increased level of regenerative power return (savings of RUB 383.1 mln, or 49,480.5 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- optimised operating modes and modernisation of heating systems (savings of RUB 393.9 mln, or 73,633 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- use of energy efficient lamps and optimisation of lighting system modes (savings of RUB 331.2 mln, or 37,757.6 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
- increased energy efficiency of technological processes and infrastructure facilities (savings of RUB 562.9 mln, or 44,072.6 tonnes of fuel equivalent);
In 2014, more than 2,300 of the Company’s structural divisions implemented 19,000 measures under the Energy Conservation Programme, saving RUB 4.1 bln, including due to the savings of:
- 687.9 mln kWh of electricity valued at RUB 1,865.7 mln;
- 53,800 tonnes of diesel fuel valued at RUB 1,582.5 mln;
- 136,700 Gcal of thermal energy valued at RUB 232.8 mln;
- 19.5 mln cubic metres of natural gas valued at RUB 82.9 mln;
- 13,000 tonnes of heating oil valued at RUB 128.3 mln;
- 6,200 tonnes of petrol valued at RUB 190.6 mln;